« Home | welcome to the breakbeat jazz blog. » 

Monday, April 17, 2006 

Shpongle

I'm listening to Dorset Perception, Shpongle's 2004 release on Twisted Records. It's a 2-track single with a re-edit of the title track, as well as a nice extended ambient breakbeat track.

Shpongle's ambient soundscapes are reminiscient of artists such as Future Sound of London, Banco de Gaia and The Orb. Their use of psychedelic synth-FX and acid squelches also brings to mind Eat Static. However, Shpongle certainly has a unique sound, and is recognizable by having a compositional style where songs change dramatically through their various movements.

While the tracks are a bit too clean for my taste, the release is certainly worth checking out and the production and compositional elements stand out. My personal taste leans towards more raw, live sounds (ala Medeski Martin & Wood, DJ Cam)-- This release is more on the electronic side of the spectrum, and any acoustic sounds (such as the ac. guitar on track 1) are very clean.

I think Shpongle will definitely be recognized as far more developed compositionally than its contemporaries, but the rather eclectic result won't appeal to everybody. Case in point, track 2 of the release begins purely ambient and evolves into a 6/4 breakbeat. Then, it suddenly changes to a 4-to-the-floor progressive house drumbeat with vocals and a faux-guitar Latin jazz solo! Up until that point, I was really digging the groove, but it kind of lost me when changing styles.

Regardless, I can appreciate the recording and give kudos for experimenting with song forms and adding a compositional element sorely lacking in much electronic music today.

Link

MyZog.com: Single? Sign up free

About me

  • I'm Jonah Dempcy
  • From Seattle, Washington, United States
  • I'm a musician living in Seattle. I make electronic jazz music under the moniker Revolution Void. My music is a mix of electronic breaks and jazz improvisation, featuring solos from some of the top players in modern jazz such as Seamus Blake, Lucas Pickford and Matthew Garrison.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates